Portraying the other side of Pakistan
Pakistan, officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is a country in South Asia. It has a 1,046-kilometre (650 mi) coastline along the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman in the south and is bordered by Afghanistan and Iran in the west, India in the east and China in the far northeast. Tajikistan also lies very close to Pakistan but is separated by the narrow Wakhan Corridor. Strategically it is located in a position between the important regions of South Asia, Central Asia and the Middle East.
A regional and middle power, Pakistan has the seventh largest standing armed forces in the world and is a declared nuclear weapons state, being the first and only nation to have that status in theMuslim world, and the second in South Asia. It is designated as a major non-NATO ally of the United States and a strategic ally of China. Pakistan is a founding member of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (now the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation) and is a member of the United Nations,Commonwealth of Nations and the G20 developing nations.
A Brief Introduction
- Official Name: Islami Jamhooriya-e-Pakistan
- short form: Pakistan
- int’l long form: Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- ISO Country Code: pk
- Time: Local Time = UTC +5h
- Actual Time: Sat-Mar-17 19:44
- Country Calling Code: +92
- Capital City: Islamabad (pop. 1 million) and adjacent Rawalpindi
- Other Cities: Karachi (9 million), Lahore (5 million), Faisalabad (2 million) and Hyderabad (1 million)
- Government Type: Parliamentary democracy
- Independence: 14 August 1947
- Geography Location: Southern Asia, bordering the Arabian Sea between India the east and Iran and Afghanistan on the west and China in north.
- Area: 804 000 sq. km. (311 000 sq. mi.
- Terrain: Flat Indus plain in east; mountains in north and northwest; Balochistan plateau in west.
- Climate: Mostly hot, dry desert; temperate in northwest; arctic in north.
- People Nationality: Noun and adjective–Pakistan(i).
- Population: 151 000 000
- Ethnic groups: Punjabi, Sindhi, Pathan, Baloch, Muhajir, Saraiki, Hazara.
- Religions: Muslim 97%; small minorities of Christians, Hindus, and others
- Languages: Urdu (national and official), English, Punjabi, Sindhi, Pushtu, Balochi, Hindko, Brahui, Saraiki (Punjabi variant)
- Literacy: 45.7%; male 59.8%; female 30.6%.
- Natural resources: Extensive natural gas reserves, limited petroleum, poor quality coal, iron ore, copper, salt, limestone.
- Agriculture products: Cotton, wheat, rice, sugarcane, fruits, vegetables; milk, beef, mutton, eggs.
- Industries: Textiles and apparel, food processing, pharmaceuticals, construction materials, paper products, fertilizer.
- Currency: Pakistani Rupee (PKR)
- Pakistan in Figures: View