Biryani, biriani, beryani or beriani is a set of rice-based foods made with spices, rice (usually basmati) and meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word beryā(n) (بریان) which means “fried” or “roasted”.
The cooking method of Biryani originated in Iran (Persia) and it was brought to the Indian subcontinent by Iranian travelers and merchants. Local variants of this dish are popular not only in South Asia but also in Southeast Asia, Arabia, and within various South Asian communities in Western countries.
How to cook?
1. 2 cups Basmati rice
2. 3/4kg Chicken pieces
3. Onion 3 large, sliced
4. 1 cup Yoghurt
5. 1 tsp Ginger paste
6. 1/2 tsp Garlic paste
7. 1 tsp Green chilli paste
8. 1/2 cup Tomato puree
9.2 tsp Red chilli powder
10. 1 tsp Turmeric powder
11. 1 tsp Cumin powder (roasted)
12. 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
13. 2 tsp Garam masala powder
14. 1/2 cup Milk
15.A pinch Saffron
16. 1 tsp Coriander powder
17. Green coriander leaves 2 tbsp, chopped
18. Water 3 1/2 cups
19. 7 tbsp Oil
20. Salt as required
1. Make a mixture with tomato yoghurt, puree, green chilli paste, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt.
2. Take the chicken and marinade it in the same mixture. Let it rest for 3-4 hours.
3. Put oil in a pan, heat it and fry onions till they turn golden brown.
4. Now, to this add the marinated chicken and cook the entire mixture for 10 mints.
5. After that in a pressure cooker, take the rice and add 3 1/2 cups of water to it. Also, take the saffron, mix with the milk and add to the rice.
6. Lastly, add the cardamom powder and the chicken pieces, along with the marinade.
7. Mix all the ingredients gently, cover with the cooker lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle.